Jim Gaffigan ~ July 24, 2015 @ The Santa Barbara Bowl

Food for Thought


A hush fell over the crowd as a single spotlight hit a lone bar stool on the Santa Barbara Bowl stage. Never has the crowd seemed so quiet at the beginning of a concert, but this was no rock show - this was comedy.

Jim Gaffigan, one of America’s most relatable and self-effacing comedians, performed to a full house July 24th. Known for his undeniable love of food that has made him fat (especially hot pockets), his lack of parenting skills to his unusually large family, and his third-person, high-whisper “inner” voice that constantly criticizes his material, Gaffigan brought fresh and familiar material to Santa Barbara.

“Santa Barbara is unbelievable, you lucky bastards – I resent these people.” Gaffigan had the crowd laughing from the start, rightfully joking about the things Santa Barbarians love most about our town. “A cop pulled us over and gave us a bottle of wine….”

Gaffigan, pale and heavy set, is honest about himself, being both self-deprecating and edgy:
·       He hates to hike: “Hiking is a very California thing - we all make mistakes. It’s walking for no reason. There’s no stores or restaurants.”
·        He loves TV: “I’m a tel-athlete…. Yes sir TV… No sir TV…” 
·        He is no good at parenting: “I just want to hear your voice daddy – Buy my album.”
·        He is overweight: “I have fatted out of my clothes. I am curating an exhibit of my weight gain.”
·        And he loves steak: “Let’s eat meat together – like Jesus.”

Throughout his set, his little third-person voice made cutting commentary, alleviating some of the uncomfortable tension of his humor.  “I can’t believe he said that about Jesus...” But the voice could not stop him and Santa Barbara ate it up.