Toad the Wet Sprocket ~ November 30 @ SOhO

A Walk On the Memory Lane 

If you were alive in the 90’s you know Toad the We Sprocket. I thought I knew them vaguely, until I saw them live at SOhO this last Sunday. It turns out I knew them quite well. 

“They mean so much to so many,” according to opening act Cory Sipper. “People came up to me when they heard I was opening for Toad, saying things like, ‘You don’t’ even understand… I played them in college, at my wedding… for my kids.’ I understand.”

It was obvious the crowd at SOhO that Sunday night felt the same. Looking through the crowd you could see the who’s who of the local music scene along side parents out for the night, all here to catch an intimate glimpse of the Santa Barbara born band. (Fun trivia: TTWS’s song “Little Heaven” was featured in the 1992 movie Buffy The Vampire Slayer. What other local Santa Barbara band’s claim to fame is from the Buffy the Vampire Slayer franchise?)

Hearing the familiar upbeat progression of the music and
Glenn’s poignant vocals as they opened with “The Moment” brought a pain to my stomach as I was whisked away, back to high school and the angst of growing up. The music is upbeat, but the lyrics can be heart wrenching, creating a weird balance in the emotions. “Glen is an amazing lyricist,” proclaimed Michael Cantillon, keyboardist for Beta Play, just off tour with Toad the Wet Sprocket. “Tommy (lead singer) has been writing songs with him. Glen definitely brings out the best in Tommy.”

As the crowd sung every word of every song along with the band, it was evident that the music meant a lot to a lot of people. Toad brought us through a journey of 23 songs, including their biggest hits “Something’s Always Wrong,” “All I Want,” and ending the night with my favorite, “Walk on the Ocean.” It was definitely a night with a walk on the memory lane.

Think you know Toad?

All I Want: (chorus)
All I want is to feel this way
To be this close, to feel the same

Something’s Always Wrong: (chorus)
Again
It seems we meet
In the spaces
In between 

Walk on the Water: (chorus)
Walk on the ocean
Step on the stones
Flesh becomes water
Wood becomes bone