Gaslight Anthem ~ April 20 @ The Majestic Ventura Theater

photo by mishel "meow" orloff

Did You Hear Your Favorite Song One Last Time?

To say I was excited would be an understatement. The Gaslight Anthem show had finally arrived! And I made sure to maintain throughout Earth Day festivities so I would be as clear as day and able to fully absorb the ’59 sound.

The Gaslight Anthem is rock band from Jersey whose members include Brian Fallon (vocals), Alex Rosamilia (Guitar), Alex Levine (bass), and Benny Horowitz (drums).

A relatively young band, Gaslight formed in 2006 and has four albums under their belt. Their earlier albums were more punk in nature, and as they matured, their music has mellowed. Some would say they are a post hardcore punk band, but they have evolved over time to be just a great American rock band. Hailing from the same state as The Boss, Bruce Springsteen, they bring a similar raw guttural rock sound, just to faster beats. Their latest release, Handwritten, has been the most accepted in the mainstream to date.

The vibe at the Majestic Ventura Theater that night was warm and friendly; there definitely was a cheerful buzz in the air.
photo by mishel "meow" orloff
Walking in, my group was instantly scooped up and whizzed away to VIP. Benefit of knowing some people who know some people. We were placed next to the godparents of Alex Levine and made instant friends. In this special space, away from the riotous crowd, we were free to get our dance on and sing every song as loud as we possibly could. The godparents eventually asked us to go back stage with them, but my friend just “meowed” at them & ran away. D’oh! Sometimes it doesn’t pay to have weird friends.

Meow-gate aside, the set was 17 songs long, with 6 (six!) encores. That’s a wonderfully long set. It was a combination of their last three albums, heavy on the new stuff, with a cover of Tom Petty’s Refugee. I was a bit bummed they didn’t play anything off Sink or Swim, their first and my favorite album. But not too bummed. They mixed it up good. And apparently I dance more with my left shoulder than my right (sounds odd, but looks good!), because I definitely felt it the next day. 

They ended (2nd to last actually) with my most favorite song, “Here’s Looking at You Kid.” I’m pretty sure you could barely hear Brian over the crowd & myself. And if this were to be my very last Gaslight Anthem show, at least I heard my favorite song one last time.

Set List:
•   Howl
•  The '59 Sound
•  Handwritten
•  Even Cowgirls Get the Blues
•  Old White Lincoln
•  45
•  Biloxi Parish
•  Señor and the Queen
•  The Queen of Lower Chelsea
•  Film Noir
•  Old Haunts
•  Blue Dahlia
•  Refugee (Tom Petty cover)
•  Too Much Blood
•  Blue Jeans & White T-Shirts
•  Great Expectations
•  Keepsake
Encore:
•  She Loves You
•  Mulholland Drive
•  Desire
•  Mae
•  Here's Looking at You, Kid
•  The Backseat