Day 3 Review of New Noise Festival 2011

What Dreams Are Made Of

I was looking forward to day three most of all! Can you say reverie?

Russ Rankin of Good Riddance fame playing solo at a coffee shop in Santa Barbara is dream worthy to a punk rock girl like myself. I wasn’t disappointed.  A very humble Rankin, fighting a sore throat, took to the corner (there’s no stage at Muddy) with nothing but an electric guitar. His voice held on as he lamented his way through his solo songs with heart and honesty, explaining the meaning and purpose of each song as he went. He made me remember why I love punk rock. It inspires action, deep thought, and rebellion. Not to mention, no one writes a love song like a punk rocker.

Due to the buzz around the headliner at Savoy, I elected to skip the other acts to post up for Vokab Kompany. I was glad I did. Consisting of 2 MCs, a female vox, a violinist, a hot bass player, a sax, a guitar, and drums, the band was electric. The intensity was palpable and infectious. With heavy riffs and hard-hitting lyrics, Vokab rocked the crowd. There wasn’t a corner in Savoy that wasn’t infected.

It was a night for the ages. One that will repeat over and over in my dreams. Don’t wake me.